The Motivational Interviewing Cohort series consists of three courses (Engaging through Empathy, Ready Set Change, and Dealing with Discord) and one individualized coaching session focused on providing learners with feedback and further skill-building practice.
These sessions will focus on how to use motivational interviewing skills to build engagement and create meaningful change with the clients you serve.
- Agencies: Book for groups of 12-24 staff. Options available for multiple cohorts as needed and cost dependent on group size.
- Individuals: Join a cohort of other individuals and earn 9 CEs for $140.
If you have interest in sending staff to future sessions, please contact Nick Zadina at email@example.com. Seating is extremely limited.
Webinar #1: Engaging Through Empathy: I Don’t Care What You Know Until I Know That You Care
Description: Meet Dylan Sullivan, the single father of an 8-year-old boy named Joseph. He calls you because he says his son’s school won’t stop pestering him about Joseph misbehaving at school. He thinks that by calling your agency, he may be able to get them off his back. He also says he is interested in receiving any financial assistance you may have to offer. Can you help?
Engaging through Empathy is a training where you will learn how you can approach clients in a way to create sustainable change by building relationships and meeting them where they are at.
- Understand how biases and assumptions impact family engagement
- Learn the definition of empathy
- Practice motivational interviewing skills that utilize empathy to deepen engagement
Webinar #2: Ready, Set, Change: Identifying and evoking change talk in clients
Description: Designed for professionals who work with mandated or resistant families and individuals, this course discusses tools for evoking sustainable change using engagement and motivational interviewing techniques.
- Understand what motivates (and prevents) people to change
- Learn how to identify change talk
- Learn strategies to evoke change talk
- Recognize stages of change and how to adapt goals accordingly
Webinar #3: Dealing with Discord: The art of being yelled at, lied to, and dismissed
Description: This course discusses the nature of discord when it is experienced in a helping relationship, raises awareness about how we think and feel when experiencing discord, and teaches motivational interviewing techniques to deal with discord when it arises.
- How to identify discord within helping relationships
- Awareness of their reactions to discord
- Motivational interviewing skills to help deal with discord
Webinar #4: Motivational Interviewing Practice Skills Session
Description: This is registration for one practice session which will be provided in small groups with Project Harmony training specialists. In these small groups, trainees will do scenario work to practice all the motivational interviewing skills taught in the previous webinars. Each session will be an hour and a half long. Trainees will only sign up for one session. Registration will be limited to six participants per session. Once a session fills, it will close and only sessions with available seats will remain open.
- Practice motivational interviewing skills