The skills and thought processes coached through this series of trainings will allow you to work with clients and coworkers in an uplifting way, regardless of where they’re coming from. You’ll see strategies on de-escalation and change talk through a lens of compassion. Challenge your assumptions and reflexes.
In order to obtain credit for the Interpersonal Skills for Effective Interviewing Series, participants must attend all three trainings (Engaging through Empathy; Navigating Discord; Motivating Change) and the live skills practice session. Partial credit will not be given for this cohort.
Training #1: Engaging Through Empathy: I Don’t Care What You Know Until I Know That You Care
Description: Meet Dylan Sullivan, the single father of an 8-year-old boy named Joseph. He calls you because he says his son’s school won’t stop pestering him about Joseph misbehaving at school. He thinks that by calling your agency, he may be able to get them off his back. He also says he is interested in receiving any financial assistance you may have to offer. Can you help?
Engaging through Empathy is a training where you will learn how you can approach clients in a way to create sustainable change by building relationships and meeting them where they are at.
- Understand how biases and assumptions impact family engagement
- Learn the definition of empathy
- Practice motivational interviewing skills that utilize empathy to deepen engagement
Training #2: Motivating Change: Identifying and evoking change talk in clients
Description: Designed for professionals who work with mandated or resistant families and individuals, this course discusses tools for evoking sustainable change using engagement and motivational interviewing techniques.
- Understand what motivates (and prevents) people to change
- Learn how to identify change talk
- Learn strategies to evoke change talk
- Recognize stages of change and how to adapt goals accordingly
Training #3: Navigating Discord: The art of being yelled at, lied to, and dismissed
Description: This course discusses the nature of discord when it is experienced in a helping relationship, raises awareness about how we think and feel when experiencing discord, and teaches motivational interviewing techniques to deal with discord when it arises.
- How to identify discord within helping relationships
- Awareness of their reactions to discord
- Motivational interviewing skills to help deal with discord